With its long flowering time and abundant yields, pure cannabis sativa gives users a euphoric and energetic high. It is because of this pleasant intoxication that many smokers prefer this over indica, which will more likely put you to sleep. Sativa plants are tall with thin, light green leaves. They are genetically built to thrive in equatorial temperatures, growing in warm countries with tropical climates like Mexico, Colombia and Thailand. The energetic, day time high that sativa strains provide are well-loved by users who want to be relaxed while staying productive.
Below are some of the most powerful sativa strains, brought about by years of cross-breeding and genetic modification.
- Amnesia Haze. One of the strongest sativas today, Amnesia Haze produces big yields with powerful buds. A dose will leave you feeling charged and uplifted. It is so potent that seasoned users sometimes find themselves feeling paranoid. The plant tastes strongly of mango and lemon.
- Ghost Train Haze. The massive 25.5 percent THC content of this strain allows it to give a thrilling and energetic cerebral high with bursts of creativity. It gives focus and creative energy, making it a favorite among artists. It has light green leaves with a pungent, earthy smell.
- Green Crack. With its origins dating all the way back to the 1970s, this true sativa will give you an exciting mental high and focused energy. Its quality high makes this a good choice for a potent wake and bake. It has a spicy, sweet and fruity flavor, and is often used for stress and depression.
- Moby Dick. This plant has its originals from Amsterdam and quickly grew in popularity because of its short flowering time and high potency. Because of its high THC content, it gives smokers a long, energizing buzz with a focused and active mind. Its buds smell citrusy with hints of vanilla.
- Purple Haze. The beautiful purple-colored leaves of this sativa plant is named after the classic Jimi Hendrix song. It is popular for its psychedelic effects, and gives users creative inspiration and energy. Its sweet and earthy flavor makes it a great choice for stress relief.
- Sour Diesel. This popular energizing sativa has a very pungent aroma which inspired its name. With a THC level of about 20 percent, its hit is a dream-like buzz that will evaporate stresses and aches, and will last for hours. It is used to ease symptoms of chronic pain and depression.
- Strawberry Cough. Giving a powerful high that smells strongly of sweet strawberries, this aptly named sativa strain has a THC content ranging from 25 to 26 percent. This strain will fill you with happiness and give you inspired thoughts, and is ideal for treating anxiety, depression and nausea.
- Swazi Gold. A pure sativa strain from southern Africa, this plant is resilient and sturdy and produces high yields. It has a sweet, citrusy flavor with a hint of licorice and will bring users a happy head high. Hard-hitting with relaxing effects, this is great for treating loss of appetite and chronic pain.
- Super Silver Haze. This award-winning sativa strain originated from the cross-breeding of Haze, Northern Lights and Skunk strains. A sticky plant that smells of fruit and earth will hit the user with liveliness, making it a good choice for people with muscle aches and nausea.
Before reaching out for any of these strong cannabis strains, remember that getting a medicinal benefit goes beyond merely looking at the THC level. You need to consider its full terpene and cannabinoid profile. THC is useful for pain, nausea, muscle spasms, glaucoma, insomnia and lack of focus, while CBD is useful for anxiety, seizures and inflammation. Take note that very high-THC strains have greater side effects, including increased heart rate, lack of coordination, dry mouth and even temporary psychosis.