Picking a weed strain can be very confusing, especially for inexperienced users. With hundreds of them available in the market, retailers are still trying to determine the best way to break these down into helpful categories. This is why most of them put cannabis strains into three categories: Indica, sativa, and hybrid. However, as researchers continue to get a closer look at important cannabis factors like terpenes and cannabinoids, which largely affect that various kinds of cannabis, the distinction versus indica and sativa remains to be a helpful tool in finding the right cannabis product for you.
Rather than merely thinking in terms of indicas versus sativas, perhaps it would be more helpful to think along the lines of indica-like strains and sativa-like strains. Read on as we take a closer look at the main effects that are linked to sativa-like strains, along with the list of strains to consider.
What are the Common Effects of Sativa Strains?
- This is a sought-after effect for daytime users and those who want to take cannabis before being social or before doing an activity.
- Improve focus. Sativa can help ease a distracted mind, allowing them to put their concentration on the task at hand.
- Increased creativity. Consuming cannabis sativa can unblock their creativity and help create new ideas.
- Expand the mind. Aside from improving creativity, sativa strains can also direct inward attention to encourage reflection.
- People have reported that their moods have improved after consuming sativa strains.
Cannabis Sativa Strains for Your Mental Health
- Anxiety. Cannabis sativa can help ease anxiety with uplifting and soothing effects. Users report that it helps them snap out of their repeated, intrusive thoughts.
- Depression. Because of their reported energizing, creativity-inducing, mood-lifting effects, sativas can combat feelings of apathy and lethargy.
- ADHD. Because of the increased focus that sativas give, users report that cannabis sativa have helped ease their ADHD symptoms.
Choosing the Right Cannabis Sativa Strain
Before talking about specific strains, it is important that consider the effects of sativas are applied broadly. This means that not everyone will necessarily experience all these effects. Remember that every person will have a different experience with a particular strain. After all, our physiology, endocannabinoid system and tolerance to cannabinoids are unique from one another.
Your current life experience and life setting will also influence your overall experience. Do you have a good support system? Have you recently experienced something difficult or traumatic? Are you dreading something in the coming days? All these things will greatly affect your experience with a particular sativa strain.
Keep in mind that strains are not an exact science because they are not always consistent in all brands. If you find one that you like, the version of another brand might have a completely different feeling to you. Below are some of the most popular strains if you are looking to get a particular feeling or a certain thing done.
- For energy: Sour Diesel, Jack Herer, and Green Crack
- For creativity: Chocolope, Super Silver Haze, and Durban Poison
- For uplifting mood: Strawberry Cough, Super Lemon Haze, and Harlequin GDP
- For focus: Lucid Blue, Sour Breath, and Red Congolese
Are there Potential Side Effects to Consider?
Cannabis can be useful in creating a particular vibe or managing certain symptoms, but it has a few potential side effects. Again, everyone has a different experience with marijuana so these adverse effects can vary from one person to another. Examples are feelings of paranoia or anxiety, drowsiness, dry mouth, insomnia, dry eyes, increased appetite, rapid heart rate, slowed reaction time, and coordination issues. If you are new to marijuana, it is best to start low and go slow with a low THC strain.