Best Step By Step Guide On How To Make Edible Cannabis Candy
Candies with bright colours, aromas, and mouth-watering flavours are perfect for a pick-me-up. Things only get better when they are infused with cannabis to add relaxing or uplifting, energetic effects. But can you learn how to make edible cannabis candy at home?
The legalization of marijuana in Canada has opened up the cannabis community to new, more potent products and the freedom to experiment and add twists to available recipes. Don’t find your favourite flavour in the dispensary? No problem, buy some weed online and make your own.
Cannabis candy is one of the most common ways to consume weed. They are sweet, easy to use, and as it turns out, they are also easy to make. But how do you make edible cannabis candy?
Why Are Weed Candies A Good Idea?
Weed candies are excellent if you are looking for something to add to your cannabis routine. Pot candies are a different experience. Although they don’t deliver the instant effects of smoking, they provide a full sensory high that can last for hours, longer than what you get with inhalation techniques.
Weed candies are also discreet, which means you can use them in places where smoking or vaping weed is not allowed. No one will question whether you are taking regular candy, at least not until 30 to 120 minutes later when you start giggling and raiding the fridge – if you can get yourself off the couch at all.
Edible candies are also a great alternative for people that don’t like or can’t smoke. They are also great gifts and can be used for grown-up parties. What’s more, you can make these confectionaries at home.
Also, making candies can be a stress-relieving and fulfilling activity. Here is how to make edible cannabis candy. This article will teach you how to make cannabis edibles and gummies like a pro. But first, there are a few things you need to do before getting into the recipe, including choosing the strain and getting the weed ready.
What You Need To Do Before Starting The Process- 3 Quick Steps
1. Choose A Weed Strain
The cannabis industry has hundreds, probably thousands of strains that you can buy online. Different types have varying effects, and you need to choose a strain depending on the purpose you intend to use the edible cannabis candies for.
Most online weed dispensaries in Canada categorize cannabis products into three types – indica, sativa and hybrid. Note that cannabis affects individuals differently, but generally, sativa strains induce energetic and uplifting highs that spur creativity and inspiration.
As such, if you are looking to make edible candies for work, sativas are typically the best for daytime use or wake and bake.
If you are making edibles for the evenings to help unwind, indicas are your best option. Indicas are generally physically relaxing and calming, and depending on the cultivar, can induce sleepiness and couch-lock.
Hybrid strains can cause balanced indica-sativa effects, but the effects can lean more to one side depending on the ratios.
2. Decarboxylate The Weed
If you have a raw weed flower, you have to decarboxylate it before using it. Before you start wondering what the big word means, let us explain.
Decarboxylation is simply the activation of the THC product. Wondering why you need to activate the THC?
You will be surprised to know that raw cannabis has little to no THC in it. Raw weed instead contains THC precursor, THCA or tetrahydrocannabinolic acid. THCA is non-psychoactive, which means it won’t get you high. However, it can be turned to THC by heating it.
Fortunately, you can easily decarboxylate weed in your oven. Just break down your bud, place it in a baking sheet and heat in the oven at around 220-245 °F for 30 to 45 minutes. Check it regularly to make sure it doesn’t get scorched. When all THCA is converted to THC, the colour will change from bright green to brown.
If you don’t want to go through this process, you can buy decarboxylated weed products such as this THC distillate online that comes ready to infuse in edible candies.
3. Make An Infusion
You can’t make edible cannabis candies with solid weed material for obvious reasons. There are two types of candy recipes – most call for a cannabis tincture or concentrate such as a distillate, while others require a cannabis fat such as cannabutter. Some require both.
Cannabis extracts – especially concentrates close to pure THC, make stronger cannabis edible candies while cannabutter or canna-oil make weaker candies.
Cannabinoids work well with fats, so don’t be surprised to see some recipes calling for both cannabutter/ canna-oil and cannabis extract. However, making both is relatively easy; check out our guide on how to make cannabutter for more.
How To Make Edible Cannabis Candy
Now you have finally made it to the yummy part – the recipes. We will show you how to make two types of weed candies – gummy bears and lollipops. Let’s start with cannabis lollipops.
How To Make Weed Lollipops
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon cannabutter
- 2-3 tablespoons of THC tincture
- 1 tablespoon of flavouring (any flavour of your choice)
- Candy moulds
- Lollipop sticks
- Candy thermometer
- Candy wrappers
- Step By Step Instructions
1. Lubricate the saucepan with 1 tablespoon of cannabutter
2. Add the filtered water, corn syrup, and sugar to the saucepan and heat at medium or high temperature, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
3. Once all the ingredients combine and start boiling, insert the candy thermometer and wait until it reaches 300°F or 150°C, remove the saucepan from heat without removing the thermometer.
4. Pay attention to the temperature drop. Once it reaches 250 F or 120 C, add the cannabis tincture and flavour and stir well.
5. Slowly and carefully pour the mixture into the candy moulds, insert the sticks and let them cool down for up to 20 minutes.
6. Enjoy your homemade candies!
How To Make Weed Gummies
Weed gummies are easier to make than lollipops.
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar powder, or you can use gelatine
- 1 tablespoon cannabis tincture
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup fresh fruit juice/fruit puree
- Silicone gummy moulds/ice cube trays
1. Stir the puree to improve consistency, if you are using fruit juice, this may not be required.
2. Put the saucepan on medium heat, add the juice/puree, and leave it to boil. As you wait for the juice to boil, add the agar-agar powder to water in a separate dish and stir.
3. Pour the agar agar mixture into the boiling juice/puree mixture and stir for up to three minutes. Add the sweetener and stir some more.
4. Remove the mixture, allow it to cool a bit and add the THC tincture and stir.
5. Pour the mixture into the moulds/ice cube trays and leave to cool down for 20 minutes at room temperature before putting them into the fridge for another 20.
6. Remove the gummies from the moulds and sprinkle them with powdered sugar to stop them from sticking together.
Where To Buy Weed Online To Make Edibles In Canada
To make sure your edible candies are potent, only use high-quality cannabis products, including weed flower or cannabis concentrates. Order weed online from LowPriceBud, Canada’s top mail-order marijuana dispensary for the best quality at the lowest prices.
At LowPriceBud, we have the best weed buds, like this ultra potent Mike Tyson indica strain. If you are looking for something that comes ready to be infused in cannabis candy, get this So High Banana Kush syringe that tests at over 95.79% THC.
Buy cheap bud online in Canada from LowPriceBud and we’ll deliver it to you anywhere in the country!