Got Fresh Buds? Here’s How To Make Dry Ice Hash at Home
As cannabis consumption gains traction thanks to legalization and illuminating research, extraction techniques are also cropping up to keep up with demand.
And with all the DIY extraction techniques, it’s safe to say that canna-curious folks are always looking for a new way to consume cannabis. Dry ice hash is the latest DIY extraction craze shaking up the cannabis world.
Hash has been a favourite of cannabis connoisseurs for a while now. Some of its draws include its potency, which can be as high as 90 percent THC, and its versatility.
But what is drawing cannabis enthusiasts to this new method of extracting it? For one, the method is fast, easy and efficient.
Secondly, because the method doesn’t involve solvents, it produces purer and superior products. So it is no surprise that cannabis lovers are jumping on the dry-ice hash train.
And to help you join the dry ice hash bandwagon, we’ve prepared this guide to give you a step-by-step process of getting the purest hash from cannabis trims and buds.
We’ll also discuss some precautions you should take as you pick up the scientist mantle.
Why Do Cannabis Connoisseurs Love Dry Ice Hash?
Dry ice hashish or dry ice hash is a psychoactive product made by separating THC-rich resins from cannabis trims and buds.
The process is achieved by adding solidified CO2 (dry ice) to the cannabis buds and trims and shaking it. The dry ice freezes the resin glands making them brittle and easy to break off from the trims.
Though dry ice hash is a relative newcomer in cannabis consumption, it’s gaining ground on other DIY extraction methods.
With this method, you’ll be toking on your hash in no time. The extraction process is straightforward and doesn’t need a lot of material or complicated equipment.
And since the dry ice will turn into gas and evaporate on its own, what remains behind will be the THC-rich resin (uncompacted hash called kief).
On the other hand, hash made with solvents like BHO (Butane Hash Oil) may still contain traces of butane. This, of course, is an exception and not a rule. BHO made correctly should not have traces of solvent.
And commercially sold BHO usually goes through thorough lab testing to ensure the product is safe and free from harmful substances.
That said, here are the advantages of using dry ice to extract hash:
- There’s no moisture. The frozen resin is ready to use immediately
- The process is easy
- It’s faster than other methods
- You get to choose the cannabis strain to use
The Step-By-Step Process of Making Dry Ice Hash With Fresh Buds
One of the reasons making your hash is attractive is the fact that you get to choose the type of cannabis strain to work with.
After deciding on your favourite strains, you’ll need to assemble other necessary equipment before the extraction can begin.
What You’ll Need
- Your cannabis strain of choice
- About a 19-litre sanitized bucket to shake the bubble bag comfortably and thoroughly.
- About 3 pounds of dry ice. You can find this at a supermarket. If not, a simple google search will get you leads on where to get some. Remember, 3 pounds of dry ice will only cool about 6OZ of trim. So, get more dry ice if you’re making a bigger batch.
- Thick insulated gloves. Dry ice is frigid at approximately -78.5°C. It can therefore cause freeze burns, so these gloves will protect your skin. Snow gloves and BBQ gloves will suffice. However, latex gloves are a big no.
- Safety goggles to protect your eyes from the dry ice
- A scraping tool. An unused paint scrapper will do the trick, but a credit card can also get the job done.
- A large clean surface. This is where your hash will collect as kief.
- A pollen press to help turn the collected kief into a compact hash.
- Bubble, pollen, or hash bags. The bags come in three standard sizes: a 73-micron bag, a 160-micron bag, and a 220-micron bag. Micron refers to the number of units allowed to pass through the bag’s sifter.
Best Bubble Bags for Dry Ice Hash
Bubble bags come in three standard sizes, as mentioned above. Before deciding on the best bubble bag for dry ice hash, it’s good to collect hash in all these sizes and see which type you like the most.
The numbers indicate the mesh design or the sifting holes’ size. The lower the micron number, the purer the hash you’ll collect. This also means that with a smaller micro number, the amount of hash collected will be lesser.
With a 73-micron bag, you’ll collect nothing but the highest quality kief. Only the resin-rich trichome will pass through. The uncompacted hash will have the highest potency and take on a vibrant golden hue.
160-micron bag still collects high-quality hash. However, you’ll notice some plant materials mixed with your golden-hued kief.
220-micron bag will let everything pass through except stems and leaves.
If you were to pick one bubble bag, we recommend the 160-micron bag. With it, you get a sizable batch that still boasts quality.
If you’re experimenting, get all three bags, and see which batch you like the most.
Precautions to Take Before Making Hash With Dry Ice
Dry ice is relatively safe to use. However, handling it may pose risks because it sublimates (directly turns to gas) and comes in frigid temperatures.
Exercising the precautions below will lead to a smooth-sailing extraction process.
Make sure the extraction room is well-ventilated.
Dry ice sublimates into CO2 gas. Because the gas is produced in small amounts, there isn’t a significant threat, buts it’s good to avoid the risk.
Don’t put dry ice in a sealed container.
As the dry ice becomes gas, it may pressurize the container and explode.
Don’t touch dry ice with your bare hands.
Although doing this doesn’t pose an imminent danger, a freeze burn will not be a pleasant experience.
Discard dry ice safely.
The best way to get rid of leftover dry ice is to leave it in an open area so it can turn into gas.
On the other hand, flushing it down your toilet or kitchen drainage may freeze your pipes, leaving you with a hefty plumbing bill.
How To Make Dry Ice: Step-By-Step Instructions to Follow
Now that you have your equipment assembled and know how to handle dry ice, it’s time to make dry ice hash with fresh buds.
- Put your goggles and gloves on.
- Gather your cannabis strain of choice and put it in the 19-litre sanitized bucket.
- Add the dry ice to the bucket and cover it with the 73-micron bag. Allow two to three minutes for the material to freeze. To improve the cooling process, you can smash the dry ice into smaller pieces before adding it to the bucket.
- Start shaking and swirling the bucket for another three minutes. This will enhance the freezing of the resin, which will start to break off from the cannabis plant.
- Now turn the bucket upside down to empty its content into the micron back, with the bag’s mesh side facing down.
- Shake the micron bag over the sizeable clean surface. You’ll notice golden speckles sifting through the mesh and falling on the surface. This is the THC-rich resin. Keep shaking until nothing comes out from the micron bag.
- Use the scraping tool to collect your freshly sifted kief and store it in a clean airtight container.
- To collect extra kief, you can dump the dry ice and cannabis back into the bucket, fit the bucket with the 160-micron bag and repeat steps 4 to seven.
- The last step is to turn the kief into hash by pressing it using the pollen press.
One reason hash is loved is the versatility of consuming it. You can smoke it directly with a screen, mix it in with your joint, vaporize it, or sprinkle it over your buds.
Dry Ice Hash Vs Bubble Hash, What’s The Difference?
Bubble hash is made using ice water and bubbles when smoked. There’s not much difference between dry ice hashish and bubble hash.
Both products are made employing the same method, except for the type of ice used.
While dry ice hash is made with dry ice( frozen CO2), bubble hash is made using ice water. The result is wet kief that would need drying before consumption.
Make Your Dry Ice Hash With The Freshest Buds
Are you looking to take your cannabis enthusiasm to the next level by experimenting with the extraction process?
At LowPriceBud, we’ll provide you with the most extensive collection of cannabis strains to make each dry ice hash batch you make truly unique.
Buy weed online from us today and enjoy high-quality buds delivered to your doorstep anywhere in Canada.