What a traumatic event occurs, it is not always easy to move past the experience. Those with a psychological condition called PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder experience anxiety or flashbacks because of shock of the experience. Although a combination of therapy and medications offer some relief, many still find it hard to recover. However, evidence show that medical cannabis can be a breakthrough treatment of most symptoms associated with PTSD.
What PTSD Symptoms can Medical Cannabis Treat?
Evidence suggest that the therapeutic use of marijuana can improve the quality of life of both PTSD patients and their families. Medical cannabis is not a cure, but once the plant activates the cannabinoid receptors of the body, it gives relief for some of the most debilitating symptoms of PTSD, such as:
- Anxiety. Chronic anxiety is one of the most common afflictions associated with the disorder. Cannabis with a high amount of CBD has shown to fight anxious feelings and reduce stress. It can also help enhance the mood.
- Insomnia.Because of the flashbacks, anxiety and nightmares that PTSD patients experience, many of them suffer from insomnia. Even those who are able to fall asleep are awoken by intense nightmares. THC can reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep and improve overall sleep quality, both of which can greatly help in overcoming insomnia.
- Nightmares.These are an intense side effect of PTSD. Cannabis can reduce rapid eye movement or REM sleep, the stage where the most vivid dreams happen. With a decreased REM cycle, the patient can suffer less from PTSD-related nightmares.
How do I Use Medical Cannabis for PTSD?
There are a few ways to ingest cannabis for PTSD. You can do edibles, inhalation and tinctures. To get the most therapeutic benefit from marijuana in improving the symptoms of PTSD, it is recommended that you start with a low or moderate dose.
- Edibles. Edibles and tinctures offer a non-inhalation method of consuming marijuana. Edibles are food, drinks or capsules infused with cannabis. This method involves consuming the plant, so it can take a few hours for the patient to experience its full effect. But once they kick it, the side effects can last for up to 12 hours. This makes edibles a great option for those looking for long-lasting relief. Cannabis edibles are usually used before going to sleep.
- Tinctures. This kind of oral ingestion involves administering an oil-based form of cannabis under the tongue where it is absorbed in the blood stream. The effects are usually felt within three to five minutes, giving quick relief from insomnia or nightmares when consumed before sleeping.
- Inhalation. Inhaling cannabis by vaporizing or smoking the plant gives the fastest onset, mostly taking only a minute or two. Also, the effects can last for several hours. Many doctors do not recommend smoking marijuana, however, as patients can ingest byproducts produced on the lit plant. Inhaling cannabis has shown to be the most effective in alleviating memories or fear experienced during daytime.
What are the Best Cannabis Strains for PTSD?
There are several strain options available that can help alleviate PTSD symptoms. Before picking one, it is important to understand the difference between THC-dominant and CBD-dominant strains. Generally, CBD provide mood-stabilizing effects, while those with high amounts of THC are most effective during the evening to help give a restful sleep. Some of the best cannabis strains are OG Kush, Pineapple Express, Cannatonic, Blue Dream and Master Kush.
If you suffer from PTSD, medical cannabis can be the solution to relieving some of your debilitating symptoms. This effective and safe treatment is already available in many countries and states. Visit an online medical cannabis dispensary now to start experiencing its therapeutic effects.